Virtual Skipper ACC Racing Club International
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Virtual Skipper ACC Racing Club International

Join the VSK ACC Racing Club International, for all Virtual Skipper ACC Fans!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Latest topics
» Where is Dan
READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 5:26 am by AussieXII

» Race results convertor
READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 5:01 am by AussieXII

» RULES & REPLAYS
READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2015 4:55 am by AussieXII

» To pen or not to pen.
READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeFri May 02, 2014 4:25 am by AussieXII

» ACC Racing Club (ARC) Boat Numbers
READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 2:06 am by KennyD

» Hello from the USA
READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 1:56 am by KennyD

» World Premiere
READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 14, 2014 3:59 am by Josen®ique

» SELS - Super Endurance Legends Series
READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 03, 2014 6:00 pm by AussieXII

» GREAT GALVESTON TX RACE
READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 22, 2014 6:10 am by AussieXII

Gallery
READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL Empty
Affiliates

Top posters
AussieXII
READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_vote_lcapREADING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_voting_barREADING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_vote_rcap 
USA 77-Pat
READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_vote_lcapREADING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_voting_barREADING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_vote_rcap 
Seahorse914
SAF009339
gato_9
Josen®ique
lionhart
duaner
rwi
J316

READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Seahorse914
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 10:07 pm

If you haven't already downloaded the Transparent Instrument Panel,
go to the "CHANGING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL" post in this
forum and follow the link to Northspace and review the information
and download. If you need help beyond the instructions that are there,
ask someone here, we should be able to help.

In no way am I an expert on this subject. My objective is to present
helpful information for all members, and hope that we can have an
informative teaching dialogue that will benefit all of us. The presentation below is a summary of information gathered from the VSK5 Manual, WIKI & NORTHSPACE

The image below is of the Transparent Instrument Panel.

Radar left, Instrument Readouts center & Compass right.

READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL InstrumentPanelLayline_zps8e62d818

This image is of the radar section.

This is in arcade mode and we don't usually see this. The red and green arms only show in Arcade races. Take note that the segments are divided up in 30^ increments. This is important when you are pointing your boat high, close hauled to the mark, you will be at TWA 29 or 30 degrees. Two segments equals 60 degrees this is the total swing your bow will have to move to fill your sails again on the opposite tack. You will notice your boats position in the center of the radar with the next mark/buoy in red. When your boat is lined up bow to stern on one of these segments and the next buoy moves over 60^ two segments it's time to tack. Your boat won't always line up with a segment so you will need to use a little Kentucky windage and guesstimate. The screen is small and the accuracy is a bit limited.

READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL InstrumentPanelArcadeLaylinecopy_zpsf72505d2

This Image is of the Readout Section

Notice that there are twelve readouts in this view with the time clock. The mouse arrow is located at the toggle switch, witch will allow you to change views of the readout panel from three to twelve. Select the view that has twelve. This has the information you need to most effectively use the whole panel.

This image is of the compass

The numbers down the center of the compass represent the TWA that you are sailing. You will use the color of that TWA (In this example blue for TWA 30^)’ Look at the blue Index Mark and you will see that it references 240^ & 0^. These numbers will be used in the Readout Panel at the CNM to indicate the next lay line.

READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPASScopy_zps46554e7b

PUTTING IT ALL TOGETHER

NOTE:

• If you can, its best to use this method instead of the radar. It can be much more accurate. A little practice in solo will go along way in helping you figure this out.

• When you are close to the mark the CNM numbers will count down very rapidly. You may not be quick enough.

• If your opponent nails the lay line and you go past the lay line 2 degrees at ½ nautical miles out from the mark you will be about 100 ft past the lay line. And 100ft behind your opponent (two boat lengths). If he makes no mistakes the rest of the race you will never make that up.

• The example does not take into account any wind shifts or current. You have to take a mental note of this as you are approaching the lay line.

READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL Portexample_zps017b62e1

READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL PORTPART2_zps8eb58802

MIDDLE COMING UP

Seahorse914
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 1:22 am

Up for review m8's
Back to top Go down
http://www.Seahorse914.com
USA 77-Pat
Admin
Admin
USA 77-Pat

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 3:38 am

Nice work John.
Back to top Go down
http://sailmaker77@hotmail.com
Seahorse914
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2012 1:21 pm

Jammy_Doger, "Ben"
Thanks mate..............this is what I want , guys to take a look and help this thread along. We have quite a few pro's around here and a few new guys and a few in the middle. My goal is to get this out and have it corrected with ideas and personal technique. The example is a perfect world to have people understand what is happening.

MABYE A SISTER POST ON TECHNIQUE. LOOKING FOR VOLUNTEERS
i WILL REVIEW ALL COMENTS AND INCORPORATE THEM AS NEEDED

thanks Again Mate, Very Happy Very Happy
John
Back to top Go down
AussieXII
Admin
Admin
AussieXII

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 1:15 am

Wow guys, you have sure been busy, keep up the good work fellas, when I download the panel, where do I download it to guys, how do I get this going?

BOOOOYAAAAH Seahorse, man what a cool looking boat! 8)

Great work guys. cheersARC

Edit: It would go in the VSK5 Program Files of course but which folder? oopsaffraid

Dan
Back to top Go down
http://www.vsk-arc.com
Seahorse914
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2012 5:32 am

Dan,
This is the link to Norhtspace. When you read the post there, the indication is that the installer will put the file in the proper location. As always review there instructions.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
AussieXII
Admin
Admin
AussieXII

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 12:34 am

Seahorse914 wrote:
Dan,
This is the link to Norhtspace. When you read the post there, the indication is that the installer will put the file in the proper location. As always review there instructions.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Terrific John tah for that, you probably already put this up, but thanks for the link mate.

Cheers READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL 364988687READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL 364988687READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL 364988687

Dan
Back to top Go down
AussieXII
Admin
Admin
AussieXII

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 12:55 am

READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL Agr

AUSSIE GOT ADVANCED RADAAAAR!!!!

8)
Thanks Heaps John, this should improve my sailing at least a little bit. Laughing
[/b]
Back to top Go down
Seahorse914
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2012 1:32 am

Dan,
Outstanding ..no stoping you now.
John
Back to top Go down
SAF009339
Team ARC Member
Team ARC Member

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 2:19 pm

jammy_dodger_sco wrote:
Actually the last screenshot is correct i would tack there, can anyone spot the reason why? Answers on a post please b4 Canada Very Happy.....

JD

I am still eager to know why you said it's correct to tack there (241°) rather than 238° as you said before?

Cheers
Olivier
Back to top Go down
Seahorse914
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 5:23 pm

Yes we don't know history, I programed this race with no wind shifts to make it easyer to take screen shots

Beat me to it J_D
Current from port beam.

I will take a closer look at boat speed ground speed never considered that
cool stuff Jammy Smile Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 5:36 pm

Hi John and all, (makes more sense having this post here)

Here are some tt bits to add to your how to with new instrument panel. The panel is just like a map for beginners affraid all the lines/ colours/ keys/ detail is TMI! But show no fear they are your friend :shock: Even beginners should sail with full (all 12) instruments up on thier panel including the 3 multi coloured arrows on the compass.

Dont know what they mean? Here it is JD style:
(If its in green then i use often, in red i usually ignore... personal taste warning!)
TWA=True wind angle--angle of wind to your boat
TWS=True wind speed--speed of wind over water
TWD=True wind direction--direction of wind over water
HDG=Heading--direction of boat through water

COG=course over ground--"
CNM=Course to next mark--angle of nm from the middle of your boat
BS=Bullsh?no Boat speed--speed of boat through water
SOG=Speed over ground--speed of boat over ground
DNM=Distance to next mark--or START and finish line

Heel=Angle of lean your boat has to leeward due to wind on sails
VMG=Velocity made good--speed of your boat in relation to nm
AWA=Aparent wind arrow--apparently 👅

If anyone has a good use for the ones in red please let us all know...

So your head hurts? mine too :cyclops: so if u would like more info do ask, but i will if people wish, break down each instrument and uses for 1or2 by 1or2.

There is also the 3 different coloured arrows on the compass rose so again that can be explained in greater detail, basically:
Yellow arrow is tide/ current direction
Green arrow is the apparent wind directionNever used this arrow so far...
Blue arrow is the True wind direction

Nuff said time to digest gw all.

JD

Last edited by jammy_dodger_sco on Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 6:37 pm

Hi all,

Breakdown of IP 1(a):

TWA + TWS

Upwind

For ACC boats (others twa differs slightly for optimum speeds) 30 is the base angle to the wind that is most efficient most of the time for most people. However I think I use 31 more often for good speed.

TWS F7 25-50 kts: Jib No1 should be used in these conditions giving you a bs between 11.7kts-12.3kts and a cmg (course made good) of approx 10.5 kts.
Flat water in these conditions is the only time I go to TWA 29 but I always check boat speed is around the 12kts mark. As soon as waves are introduced i move to TWA 30/31 again keeping bs around 12kts. If the TWS gets up above 40kts with waves i would consider steering between TWA 30/33 keeping speed up the wave with TWA of 33 and 30 down the wave again keeping speed around 12kts.

TWS F6 20-30kts: Tricky one this... More often than not I stick with No1 Jib. 25kts is the critical TWS that dictates sail choice. If you dont think (panning out pre start looking at the race course at the gusts and luls) the wind will go above 25kts go No2. But if the gusts look strong enough or I get a gust pre start above 25 I go No1. Between TWS 20-25 with no1 v TWS 25-30 with no2 the effect on BS is less drastic with the No1 hence why i choose that if not certain. REMEBER :!: Changing sail has a huge affect on BS only change if in the first half of the upwind leg and you KNOW the wind wont increase/decrease. Best TWA in these conditions: 29/30 for flat water 30/31/32 for waves.

TWS F5 15-25kts: Relax, easy choice again Sail No2 Genoa for these winds. Best TWA similar to force 6. If the wind strength is below 18kts I start cracking off to TWA 31/32 to 33 if 15kts.

TWS F4 10-20kts: Again defo No2 Genoa. TWS 15-10kts sail at TWA 33-35 respectively. Unfortunately due to light winds your BS will fall off in these winds between 11kts-12kts keep it as high as you can. Start to minimise the number of tacks you do, tacking only on big shifts on the right side of mid. (explanation of mid coming on a post near you soon...).

TWS F3 6-12kts: Don't sail lol. TWA 40-34 respectively. 1 Tack the upwind leg increase tacking angles for laylines drastically. BS non existant... enjoy the drift, make a cup of tea make love to your beautiful wife/gf/ mistress/ alien... affraid

Downwind coming in IP1(b)

Enjoy and digest, any comments again welcome
GW JD999
Back to top Go down
USA 77-Pat
Admin
Admin
USA 77-Pat

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 8:18 pm

Nice work JD. Hi all. I like to look at COG before starts. I tells me if Ill be swept over the start line early or if it will make me late. Also in strong tide/current it helps to judge tack lines. In strong current I visuailise the mark moving and not the water,the boat doesnt know current is present. Heel angle I look at some times because too much heel is slow.
Again nice work JD.
Pat
Back to top Go down
SAF009339
Team ARC Member
Team ARC Member

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 19, 2012 9:49 pm

jammy_dodger_sco wrote:
Ok Olivier and all Suspect ,

Here it is... :arrow:

Assuming the wind will stay the same (don't know the shift pattern history).

To help with the argument lets assume a rival is coming in to mark on port and is over lay line and slightly ahead of you... you want to be tight to mark so they dont get room to nip inside you, yes? :idea:

The main reason from the instrument panel and screenshot is Tide/Current cheers
Look at the bs (boatspeed) and sog (speed over ground) this tells you there is approx 0.4kts of tide (a significant but small amount). More significant because when the boat tacks to the mark the force of the tide will be exactly 90 degrees to the side of the boat helping it over layline (tide will be abeam on the port side(tech speach study )).
Yellow arrow tells u tidal direction which is 90 degrees to the cnm of 240.

So even though u would be tacking 1 degree before optimum ish layline. the tide should help u over the layline before you reach mark leaving a nice tight rounding. And most importantly forcing your rival to duck behind you to round...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 🎅 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Hope this makes sense, Any Qs disagreements comments misunderstandings please post... and enjoy yer new panels folks in all their 12 instrument glory 😕
GW JD999

JD

This for sure makes sense however for me as a new sailor it's difficult to integrate witihin the decision to tack because in the example the boat is 0.073Nm from the buoy and the current is 0.4knt perpendicular to the wind and favourable after tacking, so for me it's difficult to say that 0.4knt during 0.073Nm will correspond to a benefit of 3° (241° vs 238°).
Thus i'm still in the position of not taking that risk and tacking at TWD +/- 30° or even a bit more to account for a potential bad wind shift and also give room to others on the port side (isaf rule 14) Laughing I know i'm a real rookie lol!

Cheers
Olivier
Back to top Go down
AussieXII
Admin
Admin
AussieXII

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 1:32 am

We call this being Ninja'd in the forum world guys, when someone else answers you questions before you get a chance to. Or when you post at the same time. Interesting debate and I must admit I still dont fully understand all the instruments on my panel, what they do and how to read them, also what benefit that has to my sailing. As Simon said once, understanding TWD and Mid does improve your sailing and I guess his success rate speaks largely for itself doesnt it. ACCEES Champion ACCEES Runner-Up after 2 seasons he's gotta be doin somethin right.

I know our time is our most prcious comodity guys but I think it would be very helpful if some of you guys could write something on each of the instruments and perhaps tell us how this is helpful. I dont understand what Mid is and how it works to benefit my sailing. I dont understand the TWD and how this is helpful to my sailing...if you follow.

I simply use TWA and understand that the shortest line to the mark is also the quickest, never to tack out too wide, and not to tack too often, to try to stay on Starboard from fellow competitors. I mean this is pre-schooler stuff compared to what you guys know, but I get the results just using these simple disciplines. I always wonder, though, how much better I would do if I did understand them.

Lastly I must apologise to you, I would seem rather un-intelligent, and perhaps your right, but some of us understand more in a creative way, and some of us understand numbers, we are all different and thats why a collective involved forum community is so so important. I can teach you what I know and you can teach me what you know and together we can come to terms with all the many facets of this game to further enhance our gaming experience.

Umm....yeah...just tell me to shut up guys ok... oopsREADING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL 364988687

Dan
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 4:22 am

SAF009339 wrote:
jammy_dodger_sco wrote:
Ok Olivier and all Suspect ,

Here it is... :arrow:

Assuming the wind will stay the same (don't know the shift pattern history).

To help with the argument lets assume a rival is coming in to mark on port and is over lay line and slightly ahead of you... you want to be tight to mark so they dont get room to nip inside you, yes? :idea:

The main reason from the instrument panel and screenshot is Tide/Current cheers
Look at the bs (boatspeed) and sog (speed over ground) this tells you there is approx 0.4kts of tide (a significant but small amount). More significant because when the boat tacks to the mark the force of the tide will be exactly 90 degrees to the side of the boat helping it over layline (tide will be abeam on the port side(tech speach study )).
Yellow arrow tells u tidal direction which is 90 degrees to the cnm of 240.

So even though u would be tacking 1 degree before optimum ish layline. the tide should help u over the layline before you reach mark leaving a nice tight rounding. And most importantly forcing your rival to duck behind you to round...

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy 🎅 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Hope this makes sense, Any Qs disagreements comments misunderstandings please post... and enjoy yer new panels folks in all their 12 instrument glory 😕
GW JD999

JD

This for sure makes sense however for me as a new sailor it's difficult to integrate witihin the decision to tack because in the example the boat is 0.073Nm from the buoy and the current is 0.4knt perpendicular to the wind and favourable after tacking, so for me it's difficult to say that 0.4knt during 0.073Nm will correspond to a benefit of 3° (241° vs 238°).
Thus i'm still in the position of not taking that risk and tacking at TWD +/- 30° or even a bit more to account for a potential bad wind shift and also give room to others on the port side (isaf rule 14) Laughing I know i'm a real rookie lol!

Cheers
Olivier
Oli

Thats great that you would rather sail further past layline margins, I have seen alot of folks tacking way too early. Much better to be over layed than under layed upwind (and in a social sense Wink.

You are also right in that it is a short distance to the mark, however if you want exact mathematical equations u might have lost me Sad. Be clear that i would Start the tack at the point on the screenshot 241, by the time your tack is completed the centre point of your boat is at least 2/3 degrees further past layline especially if u tack slow like me max 25 degrees rudder on tacks (10 gybes). Added to the tide, a rough guestemate of at least a degree or 2 b4 the mark, means u should easily lay the mark.

Regarding rule14 I have to disagree. Because your tack would be completed outside the 2 boat length circle, the boat coming in on port has no rights and needs to keep clear/ duck your boat. If he chooses not too then he is breaking rule 10 p/sb (well known bad move called port barging) and would need to do his penalty turns. And of course u would need to try and avoid the collision to keep your speed and keep to rule 14, but he still does turns for rule 10 infringement. If you where to sail further past layline (way over laid) you would be potentially letting him through which would be very gentlemanly of you but not in the competitive spirit if you get my meaning Wink

Anyway should be in bed Sleep
GW JD999
Back to top Go down
USA 77-Pat
Admin
Admin
USA 77-Pat

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 20, 2012 5:17 am

@ Dan and every one
Mid is the middle TWA as the wind changes back and forth. Lets say the wind is changing from 345 to 015, mid would be 000. If the race starts with the wind at 10 then you would want to start on starboard. If the wind goes to 15 that is as far as you can expect the wind to go that way.Knowing mid is 000 you know you are on the right tack for now.If the wind goes to10 you arnt headed just yet you arnt headed till the wind passes 000. I can try to expand on that if thats not clear.
Pat
Back to top Go down
AussieXII
Admin
Admin
AussieXII

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 1:42 am

USA 77-Pat wrote:
@ Dan and every one
Mid is the middle TWA as the wind changes back and forth. Lets say the wind is changing from 345 to 015, mid would be 000. If the race starts with the wind at 10 then you would want to start on starboard. If the wind goes to 15 that is as far as you can expect the wind to go that way.Knowing mid is 000 you know you are on the right tack for now.If the wind goes to10 you arnt headed just yet you arnt headed till the wind passes 000. I can try to expand on that if thats not clear.
Pat

Ok, yeah I think I get what you are saying, but how do I know what angles the wind is changing to and from, where do I find that? Thanks Pat, I feel like Im in Trig class again. oops Thanks mate, Im sure Ill get it eventually.

Also, it just these little explainations I was talking about, JD made a good start with his post at the top of this page, but I feel for the beginers (not unlike myself) it would be alot more helpful to explain each instrument with an explaination just like Pat has done, so we get an idea of what the instument is for and how it can help us.

Its a fantastic resource so far guys and thanks for going to the trouble.

Cheers all READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL 364988687READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL 364988687READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL 364988687

Dan
Back to top Go down
USA 77-Pat
Admin
Admin
USA 77-Pat

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2012 3:57 am

Its all about trend or faze. Have you ever heard anyone say they are out of faze? If you know the faze you can look at TWA at the start and figure (knowing mid) the faze. If mid is 000 but wind at -2 min. is 350, watch the TWA is it going to 345 or is it going to 355. Wind shifts are like a pendulum. Start on the lifted tack and watch the TWA. If you can get in faze you can get up the track with the leaders like simon.

Back to top Go down
AussieXII
Admin
Admin
AussieXII

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 4:41 am

Ok, let me test it out and see how I go, also Pat I must apologise to you I have simply not had the time to move on with your skin, I have the hull completed and your sail 2 done also have laid the groundwork for your spi, there is just sail 1 to do and the rest of the spi and your crew to do. I shall get back on with it after ACCEES starts and will be doing a little more on it this afternoon. Just let me get the prep stuff done for ACCEES and Ill get it done for you....sorry for the delay.

Cheers Pat and thanks for the tips. READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL 364988687

Dan
Back to top Go down
USA 77-Pat
Admin
Admin
USA 77-Pat

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 6:17 am

Dan No rush take your time and have fun with it. thats why we are here. You would be proud of me Ive gotten a few firsts and pods. over this week end, all in the name of ARC.
Back to top Go down
AussieXII
Admin
Admin
AussieXII

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2012 9:19 am

USA 77-Pat wrote:
Dan No rush take your time and have fun with it. thats why we are here. You would be proud of me Ive gotten a few firsts and pods. over this week end, all in the name of ARC.

Not to hi-jack this thread, but yeah mate I saw your profile an impressive record so far, and guys thats why its there, so you can keep track yourself, gives you somethin to do each day when you log on here. Congratulations Pat, and Im sure you will win even more races with your very own boat.

Cheers guys READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL 364988687READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL 364988687READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL 364988687

Dan
Back to top Go down
AussieXII
Admin
Admin
AussieXII

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2012 1:42 am

READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL Demotivational-posters-simplicity
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL   READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

READING & UNDERSTANDING YOUR INSTRUMENT PANEL
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Virtual Skipper ACC Racing Club International :: VSK Hints, Tips & Instructions :: Instructions-
Jump to: